Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spiraling!

As I twittered a little while ago, I saw the preview for the upcoming PBS series "We Shall Remain," five stories exploring the Native American experience since the Europeans hit the shores. It looks like a great show. Episode one talks about the Plymouth pilgrims and the Wampanoag, a sliver of whom live on in me. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/weshallremain/

I started The Terror by Dan Simmons today. I've heard him read bits of the book on a couple of different podcasts and it sounds like a fantastic story. I talked it up enough to get a coworker reading it, even before I cracked the book.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Terror/Dan-Simmons/e/9780316008075/?itm=1


I don't know when I'll have time to read it, but I'm going to try to work it in. I'd like to say that my life seems to be spiraling out of control, but in fact it's always been like it is. It's always felt like it's spiraling out of control. I started today to try to get some exercise in, by walking the dog along a route that takes about an hour. That's good for catching up on podcasts too. But I've got writing to do, and I haven't been squeezing in more than a few notes for the past week. It's now past midnight, I have to get up in four and a half hours. I don't know how to make the most important things work.

We celebrated the former wife's birthday earlier. Cake, ice cream and a big bottle of Bailey's. She's been at her new place a little over a year now. Time truly flies.

2 comments:

Grant said...

I have The Terror at home and haven't started it yet. I've enjoyed all the Simmons I've read, scifi, horror and his book about Hemingway in Cuba. I must admit though, The Terror inspires the same, well, terror as my copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel. I can't see how I can read books as large as these any more, even though I desperately want to. It would take months.

Matthew Sanborn Smith said...

I know what you mean. I checked mine out from a library and I'm not going to be anywhere near finishing it by the time it has to go back. But it's good! I'll end up buying a copy. The months will be worth it.