Friday, October 21, 2005

Spaz

I’m reading through both Roothi and the Purpose of the Machine and although they’re done in one sense, they’re not right. I can tell they need something else, but I’m not of a mind to say just what that is right now. There will come a time when I’m hot to get a bunch of new stories out, and I’ll see exactly what they need and I’ll straighten them both out and ship them off. In the mean time, I’m making more words, growing my more under-developed stories and biding my time until that mood shows up. You have to do what your mood wants. Don’t fight it. Make the best of it. You have to do exactly what you want to do, when you want to do it if you want your work to have any life.

By now, just one week into this blog, you’re probably thinking, "What’s up with this spastic freak and his inability to finish anything? No wonder he’s only finished 44 stories in the last fourteen years!" Well it’s true, my mind flitters like a butterfly. Call it mild ADD if you want (my psychiatrist did, after all), but I prefer to think of myself as nimble-minded. Whatever it’s called, all I can do is work with it. Medication leaves me uncreative, so that’s even worse. I make the best of it and always have dozens of unfinished stories with which to tinker. Then, when that completion mood hits, I have a sudden spike of output.

You’ve got to work with what you’re given. What else can you do? Take those things about yourself you’ve seen as problems and use them to your advantage. It’s okay if what you get isn’t like everyone else’s. Who wants to be like everyone else?

No comments: