Thursday, September 28, 2006

Life Was Lite, Life Was Brite


LIFE WAS LITE, LIFE WAS BRITE
BY Matthew Sanborn Smith

And then, suddenly, everything was Lite-Brite. Our entire world had become colored pegs on an unseeable black background. You'd think that insanity would overtake us all, but everyone seemed okay with it. Lite-Brite was pretty cool, after all. Irma looked at me with unnerving pink eyes. I plucked them out without a second thought.

She started screaming, "I can't see! I'm blind!"

I grabbed her by the shoulders and said, "Hold still, get a hold of yourself!"

From somewhere, the blue pegs that I wanted appeared in my hand, unglowing until I plugged them into her eye sockets. "Can you see now?"

"Yes."

"Did it hurt?"

"No." All the same, she hit me. "Don't ever do that to me again!"

"Sorry."

"My eyes. You changed them. You didn't like me the way I was?" Tiny little white pegs trailed down her cheek.

How could she see that? "I'll change them back, if you want."

"Don't touch me! Don't ever touch me ever again! How would you like it if I added more pegs to your dick and made it bigger?"

"Are you kidding? I'd love that. I might do that myself."

"Stupid men. You think everything is a joke."

She walked out of my life that day. I suppose I could have chased her, but by that time, my pants were around my ankles and I was lucky if I could walk, let alone run.