Monday, December 17, 2007

Tonight's Homework

I don’t know all there is to know about dogs and I don’t pretend to. Maybe someone has already done a study on dogs and their poo, but if so I haven’t seen it. I don’t watch dogs poo generally, except for my pug, because I have to make sure she goes while she’s outside. So I also notice that right after she’s gone, she’ll go back and smell what she’s done. Sometimes in the quick walk around that follows a good bowel movement, she’ll smell it three or four times. You might think, “Hey, that must be a pretty good smelling dump!” But you’ll have to trust me when I say that it’s not.

So this got me to thinking. We’ve all seen dogs sniffing each other’s rear ends. It seems like that’s how they get to know each other. Dogs have an incredible sense of smell and I wonder if it’s their primary sense, the sense they’re most dependent on, in the way sight seems to be ours. If other dogs smell their own muffins, I have to wonder if that’s not their way of checking themselves out, the same way we might check ourselves in a mirror. Maybe the dog is sniffing it’s business and thinking, “Yeah, man, I’m doing just fine. I’m smelling pretty hot today.” I urge you to watch dogs making poo and let me know if they smell it, and if so, what are your feelings on why they do this?

This is something very much like science in action here folks. I eagerly await your feedback.

No comments: