Thursday, January 22, 2009

Fluff And Buttons On The Teddy Bear Range


Update: Although this used to be the full version of the story, I've since published it as an e-book. The beginning is still here to give you a taste of the story. The link to the full version from Amazon is at the end of this post.

This story originally appeared in issue #32 of Chiaroscuro

FLUFF AND BUTTONS ON THE TEDDY BEAR RANGE
by Matthew Sanborn Smith

Death comes swiftly on the teddy bear range when the night devils' silhouettes mar the purpling sky. I shiver in the chill nightfall. Muffin turns his back to me, lights a cigarette as if to ward off the darkness.

"Get the little ones inside," I say. "We're burning the fires bright tonight."

At our feet, the wind blew in a piece of red yarn tangled in a few strands of yellow fur. After a quiet couple of weeks the bastards are feeding again.

I do the perimeter, spreading the word among the fire keepers, then go around to the quartermaster's and tell the boys they'll be hauling out three extra cords of wood tonight. Night's coming on and I can see my breath on the air on the way back. The husk of a long dead grasshopper clings to my fur. I scrape him off on a nearby bale of hay. There's only room for the living here.

Light from within leads me back to the mess tent. By long habit, my eyes zero in on Froo Froo standing in line before I even get inside. She doesn't look a day older, breathtaking in her combat gear.

"Froo," I say, cutting alongside. "Hey, Froo."

She looks up from the pale, dried beans that Cookie dumps on her tray. "Oh. Hi, Jack," is all I get before she starts eying the beer. She showed the beans more love.

"Been a while," I say. "You back in Kojo to stay?"

"I'm passing through on border patrol." She grabs a glass of Kojo's Own Brew and I motion to Lefty behind the table to hand me one of my own. The little grunt behind Froo gives me the stinkeye but he's not about to start up. I turn my attention back to her.

"I was thinking about you the other day."

"Mm," she says.

"How long you going to be here?" I imagine the blue ribbon hidden beneath the red plaid hunting cap she wears. I know it's there; it's sewn into her head.

###

Here's where the blatant money-grab comes in! If you'd like to read the rest of the story, as well as alternate versions and the making of Fluff and Buttons, grab the e-book here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HAR5CTU

6 comments:

Church said...

Nice one. I love the metaphysical contemplation.

Matthew Sanborn Smith said...

Thanks, Church.

Diane Severson said...

You sent me this ages ago! Great story. I'm just getting caught up on your posts, I was away for a week and too busy to do anything fun since then.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://uxuhifeqo.virtue.nu/ogawivyf.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin to get real income.
It gets down to select a correct partner who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

vrnjacka banja said...

I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your excellent work.
vrnjacka banja smestaj
vrnjacka banja privatni smestaj