Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Scanner Darkly

Saw "A Scanner Darkly" last night. It's been many years since I've read the novel. Although I can't say that Phillip K. Dick has written some of my favorite novels, I can say that he's one of my favorite authors. His ideas are completely trippy. From what I can remember, the film is faithful to the spirit of the book and it has a couple of twists that I don't think were in the novel, but those were good. The drug-induced paranoia is fun fun.

The movie has been criticized as too talky, but I really liked that about the film and I liked the movie in general. The action packed stupidity you see in most science fiction movies is abundant. I'm glad that we get a thought provoking film once or twice a year; It keeps the science fiction readers involved. The rotoscope-style animation was great. The loyal reader of this blog (That's singular because there's only one) may remember that I really liked Linklater's "Waking Life" as well. These movies aren't for everyone, but they are for some of you. If you like one, watch the other. Watch "The Fountain." Watch "Solaris" (either one). Watch "2001," "2010," and for that matter "1984" Send a message that there's a market for science fiction films that aren't necessarily explosion choked action films.

No comments: